Total Pageviews

Friday, December 31, 2010

Disassembly,Refurbishment and reassembly of trailing arms.

Firstly I removed the half shaft.

Once the half shaft was removed I started to disassemble the trailing arm assy.




Here I removed the drive spindle.


Next was the e-brake shoes,

I removed the spacers,

Then I removed the bearing with a puller,

When I was removing the u-joint it bent in the ears on the flange so I used threaded bar to spread it apart to where it was supposed to be,

Once it was back to shape I drilled and tapped a steel plate,then bolted the flange to it before fitting the new u-joint.

Now the new u-joint is fitted,

After sand blasting and priming I sprayed the final coat on each of the parts,

After sand blasting and painting I fitted the new seal and Timken taper bearings,

Before fitting the bearing shells I thuroughly cleaned out the housing,

Here the first shell is fitted,



Here I was pressing in the first shell,

The origional trailing arms were far too gone to re-use so I ordered these in from a place in Texas @ a great price,

Now re-assembly can begin,




The grease I used is a lithium complex,


After fitting some of the stainless steel E-brake kit I then fitted the shield,

Here I packed the taper bearing with grease,

To make assembly easier I put the brake shoes together before fitting them,

Now the brake shoes are fitted,

Once I had the bearing greased I re-fitted the spacers, 

Here I am re-inserting the spindle with the last taper bearing,

Here the dust shield is fitted,


Finally I torqued the spindle nut and fitted a cotter/split pin,

Now I have two complete trailing arms,

No comments:

Follow along as I attempt a restoration on my Stingray.

I origionally bought this car to have for weekend driving and so on, I had in mind to tidy up the overall basic apperance starting with the interior then wheels etc; but once I started to remove certan parts I soon realised that this is going to need a little more than a tidy up,

Of course this being a blog page the most recent work I have done will be displayed first.
(a bit like reading a book from back to front really)

To the right there ia a Restoration Archive so you can select older posts from start to finish.

Follow along as I attempt a restoration on my Stingray.